“The present Key Gompa was built in the first half of the 15th century by Sherap Zangpo, a disciple of Je Tsongkhapa, the founder of the Gelugpa sect. In the 17th century, during the reign of the 5th Dalai Lama,it was attacked by the Mongol armies, and subsequently became a Gelugpa establishment. In 1820 it was sacked again during the wars between Ladakh and Kullu.
In 1841 it was severely damaged by the Dogra army under Ghulam Khan and Rahim Khan, and later that same year it suffered more damage from a Sikh army. In the 1840s it was ravaged by fire, and in 1975 a powerful earthquake caused further damage which was repaired with the help of the Archaeological Survey of India and the State Public Works Department.”
History Source: https://keymonasteryspiti.org
Read the full blog post here – http://rougepouts.com/road-trip-spiti-part-6-lang-za-koumi…/